If you've got a great idea you'd like to share with us then here are some things to think about as you're preparing your submission, as well as some information about how to submit it:
- It's easier for us to make a decision if you can provide as much information about your idea as possible. This should include a synopsis for the book, or a sample chapter, section or route. You can send a complete manuscript, but it is unlikely we will read it all.
- Think about who the target audience is and why the book will appeal to them: is it something that other people will want to read or use? Will your book attract publicity? Is there a demand for your book?
- We're fully behind every book we publish, so it's important for us that potential authors show they're fully behind their ideas too. Let us know how you would support the promotion of your book: give us details of networks in which you're active (on and offline). We're much more likely to work with authors who do events – who are willing to get out there.
- Research the market: we're more likely to commission books that currently have no direct competition, although that's not always the case.
- Research the publisher: look at the kinds of books we publish. Is your book a good fit for us?
Generally speaking, we're interested in:
- Adventure-themed non-fiction – climbing and mountaineering etc. (Have a look at what else we've published.)
We're not interested in:
- General fiction. Other publishers specialise in this, and if your book is a fiction title it might be worth focusing on securing a literary agent first.
Submitting your Book
When you've got your idea together, send it through.
Either email it (Microsoft Word format – .doc) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail it to:
352 Cemetery Road
Sheffield S11 8FT
It can take several months to make a decision on a submission, although we try to acknowledge receipt of submissions within a few days.
Please note: we only return physical submissions if supplied with a stamped, addressed envelope.