Job opportunity: Production manager
- Monday 1 November 2021
Job opportunity, November 2021
Production manager (full-time position)
About Vertebrate Publishing
Vertebrate Publishing is an award-winning independent publisher based in Sheffield. The company currently employs eighteen staff, with many opportunities for growth in the outdoor adventure market. Current sales are at over £1m p.a. and we have taken on significant investment with the objective of developing a sustainable business many times the current level. In order to achieve our ambitious plans, we are building a management team with the experience and capability to make that happen. Vertebrate aspires to be the leading outdoor adventure publisher in the UK within the next five years and will provide rewarding careers for all who are part of this journey.
Vertebrate has ambitious expansion plans and has doubled staff numbers over the last two years. The title list reaches 300 titles and we aim to produce 50 new titles each year as we expand the range of climbing, mountaineering, off-road running, cycling and wild swimming books. The distribution process for both print and digital is very complicated, involving online retailers, direct sales through the website and sales by authors, as well as the traditional routes of books shops and outdoor stores.
The current team is very hard-working, passionate and committed to the business and would benefit from the assistance of senior managers with the experience of managing a business of the size we wish to become. With such a complicated and fast-paced business, we need further support in dealing with day-to-day issues and would benefit from the time and resource to take a more strategic view in some areas.
This role will take over some of the day-to-day management responsibilities from the company’s publishing director. The successful candidate must have the maturity and experience to manage a small team, comprising production editors and graphic designers.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have a strong interest in the outdoors and knowledge of current issues and opportunities. We have good representation in climbing and running and are looking to build our representation in swimming/watersports, cycling and long-distance walking.
Requirement: Immediate – permanent position
Skills and experience required
- Experience at a senior level within a small business of both managing a team and hands-on activities
- Book production editorial experience
- Editorial and production management, including assigning roles and allocating resources
- Experience of monitoring budgets and schedules throughout project lifespans
- Book metadata management
- Able to work unsupervised and make decisions to maintain project and schedule momentum
- Able to communicate with all levels of a business and work well under pressure
Areas of responsibility
The production manager will be responsible personally, or through direct reports, for the following activities and must be capable of completing or supervising these.
- Collaborating with the publishing director and commissioning editor on the delivery of the publishing schedule
- Delivering the production schedule on time and on budget
- Managing the eight-person, in-house editorial team, which comprises editors, researchers and designers
- Liaison with freelancers
- Via regular team meetings and by working directly with team members, ensuring title production remains on brief
- Collaborating with the marketing department on the quality and distribution of book trade data
- Collation and submission of title metadata to trade reps
Vertebrate’s values are to be reliable, bold, agile, energetic and sustainable, and we are looking for these in a candidate.
As a relatively small, privately owned business we have limited resources, and career progression will only come through the growth of the business. We can’t compete with large companies in this area but are certain that we can offer the right chance of making a real impact on our business and will have huge day-to-day variety in the job.
This position is permanent, based at our offices in Sheffield; home/remote working considered.
A CV and expression of interest should be emailed to company director John Coefield by 28 November: firstname.lastname@example.org