Job opportunity: Digital marketing manager
- Wednesday 2 June 2021
About Vertebrate Publishing
Vertebrate Publishing is an award-winning independent publisher based in Sheffield. The company currently employs eighteen staff, with many opportunities for growth in the outdoor adventure market. Current sales are at £1m p.a. and we have taken on significant investment with the objective of developing a sustainable business many times our current size. In order to achieve our ambitious plans, we are building a management team with the experience and capability to make that happen. Vertebrate aspire to be the leading outdoor adventure publisher in the UK within the next five years and will provide rewarding careers for all who are part of this journey.
Vertebrate has ambitious expansion plans and has doubled staff numbers over the last two years. The title list reaches 300 titles and we aim to produce 50 new titles each year as we expand the range of climbing, mountaineering, off-road running, cycling and outdoor swimming books. The distribution process for both print and digital titles is very complicated, involving online retailers, direct sales through the website and sales by authors, as well as the traditional routes of bookshops and outdoor stores.
To help us grow, we are looking for a digital marketing manager. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in the outdoors and knowledge of current issues and opportunities. This is a permanent position with an immediate start.
Skills and experience required
- (Essential) Publishing experience OR other business with similar characteristics, marketing primarily online to retail customers via multiple channels, including Amazon; to include both printed and digital products
- Experience at a senior level within a small business (20–50 people) of both managing a team and performing hands-on activities
- Development and execution of long-term marketing plans using comprehensive data analysis
- Success in developing long-term social media plans and combining different channels effectively in a strategic plan
- Management of PPC advertising budgets and other online/offline advertising
- Hands-on management of ecommerce websites including use of management and optimisation tools and reporting
- Use of metrics to determine return on investment from all aspects of a marketing plan
- Clear track record of generating and quantifying incremental value over the long term
- Ability to communicate with all levels of a business and work well under pressure
Areas of responsibility
The digital marketing manager will be responsible personally, or through direct reports, for the following activities and must be capable of completing or supervising these.
- Developing a strategic marketing and publicity plan inc. social media and influencer engagement, integrated with financial plans and budget including effective management of a marketing team
- Collaborating closely with the editorial department on the production and distribution of book trade data
- Developing and implementing systems and processes for each category of book that allow efficient launches and create powerful momentum
- Strategic management of all Amazon accounts including Advantage and advertising
- Experience of online selling platforms such as eBay, Bookshop.org, Amazon Marketplace and affiliate schemes
- Developing a strategic ecommerce plan for Vertebrate's D2C website
- Considering new models for converting loyal readers to regular subscription/book clubs
Further Strategic Responsibilities could include:
- Developing and implementing a strategy for digital publishing – ebooks and audio
- Managing foreign rights and overseas distribution
- With the company directors and commissioning editor, contributing to the five-year strategic plan for title development
Vertebrate’s values are to be reliable, bold, agile, energetic and sustainable, and we are looking for these in a candidate.
As a relatively small, privately owned business we have limited resources, and career progression will only come through the growth of the business. We can’t compete with large companies in this area but are certain that we can offer the right chance of making a real impact on our business and will have huge day-to-day variety in the job.
A CV and clear statement of how your experience matches our requirements should be emailed to company director Stephen Ross before 20 June: email@example.com