Job opportunity: Commissioning editor
- Monday 18th May 2020
Vertebrate Publishing is an award-winning independent publisher. We publish books to inspire adventure, and it’s our rule that we only publish books that we want to read or use ourselves.
We are looking to appoint an experienced commissioning editor to identify new opportunities for titles that fit our publishing strategy, to commission new titles from the publishing list, to identify and recruit new authors, and to ensure books come in complete, on time, on budget and on brief.
Responsibilities will include:
- developing the publishing list
- commissioning and developing new titles/authors
- preparing contracts and title documentation
- editorial support to authors during drafting
- manage books to deadline and budget to editors.
We are looking for an applicant with experience of working in a publishing environment, who is motivated to develop their career and help us grow our business. We are specifically looking for someone who has:
- strong and demonstrable project management skills
- good commercial awareness and experience of negotiation with clear focus on financial aspects
- evidence of managing internal and external stakeholders to agreed objectives
- excellent English language skills, written and verbal
- experience in working with creative people, ideally in publishing
- a keen interest in the outdoors and practical knowledge of the current Vertebrate range.
The successful candidate will be highly organised, motivated, able to multitask and results driven. They will be passionate about books and the outdoors.
This is a full-time position, based in our Sheffield office.
Salary: in the region of £25,000 p.a. The role will also be financially incentivised on overall book profitability.
To apply, please email your CV (two pages max.) and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you think you are the right candidate for this job.
Closing date for applications: 9 a.m., Monday 8 June 2020.