Job opportunity: Bookshop manager - closing date extended
- Monday 15 March 2021
About Vertebrate Publishing
Vertebrate Publishing is an award-winning independent publisher based in Sheffield. The company currently employs eighteen staff, with many opportunities for growth in the outdoor adventure market. We have ambitious expansion plans and have doubled staff numbers over the last two years. The title list includes 300 titles and we aim to produce 50 new titles each year as we expand the range of climbing, mountaineering, off-road running, cycling and outdoor swimming books.
Our retail strategy
Our books are sold across the book trade, through outdoor stores and all the leading online book sellers, via our distributor Central Books Ltd, wholesalers, and several others. We are planning on opening a bookshop in Sheffield which we hope will become a leading specialist in outdoor, adventure and travel books. This bookshop will stock a complete range from many publishers including Vertebrate. The business will be run independently with the manager being free to make all buying, hiring and marketing decisions within an agreed strategy and financial plan. We would, however, expect close collaboration with the Vertebrate team on the identification of trends in the outdoor market and development and testing of new titles.
The bookshop manager will benefit from a competitive salary and profit share arrangement which will encourage the long-term development of the business.
The successful candidate will be accountable for the daily management of the bookshop and its online shop. This senior role will require competency in ordering and stock management, finances, marketing and staff management. The shop will focus on being nationally recognised as a leading seller of travel and outdoor adventure books.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Assisting the planning and setting up of a new retail business, including online.
- Staff recruitment, training, management and development.
- Ensuring daily banking and reconciliation is achieved accurately and securely.
- Effective marketing of the bookshop from POS to national publicity.
- Developing a powerful online position for the shop, driving strong direct and referral revenue via ecommerce site and Bookshop.org type sellers.
- Ensuring staff are able to offer excellent advice to customers on book selection and are keeping up to date with the general and outdoor book market and industry.
- Ensuring excellent customer service is offered by all staff and they deal effectively with any complaints to minimise negative customer feedback.
- Organising book promotions and events as and when required.
- Stock control including forecast and ordering.
- Ensuring the shop is cleaned, secured and complies with health and safety legislation.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Knowledge of world travel and outdoor adventure books and guides.
- Experience of retail management systems ideally those specific to book or outdoor adventure retailing.
- Excellent all-round communication and leadership skills.
- Retail and bookseller experience.
- Outdoor sports or travel enthusiast.
- Ecommerce and marketing experience.
- Experience of managing people.
- Excellent and proven overall business and service sector skills.
- Ability to organise and plan effectively.
- Structured approach and ability to execute agreed plan within timescales.
- Focused, enthusiastic and passionate.
- Self-motivated with a passion for books.
Please send CV together with a covering letter setting out clearly how your experience matches all eight of the areas set out above.
Salary: around £27,500 per annum.
Please email the application to Mr Stephen Ross: email@example.com by 11 April 2021.